The Mighty Oaks preschool programs benefit children aged 2 – 6 years who are facing some challenges in a mainstream classroom. Our students have difficulties in areas such as
- Peer interaction
- Language development
- Sensory processing, e.g. poor attention, restless, distracted
- Managing emotions, e.g.withdrawn, volatile, anxious, or gets angry easily
- Fine motor skills and handwriting
Our classes are designed for children from local and international mainstream schools, who have some trouble accessing the curriculum. This could be due to poor regulation of attention or emotions, learning difficulties, language difficulties, problems with peer interaction or the like. We offer an intensive program to address the child's difficulties and aim to return them to the mainstream class as soon as possible, usually within 6 months. In the case of mild challenges, 3 months may be sufficient.
- We do not accept children with severe developmental delays, as these children are best helped in special schools.
- Children with significant behavioural problems such as intense unprovoked aggression also require a different approach and are not suitable for the program - we need to make sure that all students are safe.
- Children with no language at all do not benefit from the classroom program. We focus on peer interaction and therefore basic communication skills are needed before joining a group. Children with poor ability to engage and relate may benefit from individual parent-child Floortime sessions to build up their skills before joining a group.